Thursday, June 29, 2006

Simpsons Proverbs


Ever since I read this piece on "Simpsons quotes for everyday use" in the Onion A.V. club, I've been thinking about my favorite Simpsons quotes. Interestingly, even though the article listed a bunch of great ones, they didn't get any of my top four.

It just goes to show how many wise words the Simpsons have produced!!

Now I don't have a T.V. anymore, but I've heard a rumor that The Simpsons jumped the shark years ago yet continues to spawn season after season of celebrity cameo vehicles. As upsetting as that may be, it doesn't tarnish the sparkle of these jewels:

#4. Bart donates blood to Mr. Burns and gets a huge stone Olmec head in return. The family tries to figure out what they've learned from the experience:

"Perhaps there is no moral."
"Exactly, it's just a bunch of stuff that happened."

I love this one. I think all stories should be this way. Stories that teach you valuable lessons are lame.

#3. Bart decides to give up on learning to play the guitar when he discovers he's not good at it right away, and receives some fatherly advice:

"Son, if something's hard, it's not worth doing. Now let's go inside and watch T.V."
"What's on?"
"It doesn't matter."


Okay, maybe this one isn't all that funny.

Still, even though it's silly, it makes me smile. I always imagine Homer's voice saying this whenever I'm discouraged and feel like it would be easier just to stay in bed and give up. Sometimes it seems like I'm climbing a mountain that's so huge I can't even see the top. But I can see I'm making progress. With Homer's anti-encouragement, if I pace myself, I can keep going even if I'm not sure precisely where...

#2. For some reason I don't remember the context of this one:

"Alcohol: The cause of -- and solution to -- all of life's problems."


I would say this is one of those funny-because-it's-so-true lines, but maybe it would be more P.C. to call it "dark humor." ;^)

Really this formula works for every type of escapism. If you're under a lot of stress, some temporary escapism (ex: religion, blogging, etc.) can help relieve it. However, too much escapism -- rather than facing up to your tasks -- can worsen the problems you're taking a break from...

#1. Ned Flanders as a child angers his beatnik father by spilling ink all over his poetry:

"Whoops-a-doodle!"


This is my all-time favorite Simpson's quote!!! I can't explain why -- I just know that when I heard that one from the toddler Ned Flanders, I couldn't stop laughing for weeks.

I've added this one to my everyday vocabulary. If something falls or gets spilled at our house, it's always "Whoops-a-doodle!"

Nico and Leo both say it even though they have no idea where it comes from. :D

7 comments:

Cyn Bagley said...

Hi... yep, when the Simpsons first came out, we were saying D'oh over everything. It made us laugh and made our mistakes less stressful.

I like them too.

Christopher Bigelow said...

For some reason the Simpsons quote I find myself using most often is something like, "I'm flattered and even a little bit curious, but I'll pass." It's used when Homer thinks someone is making a gay come-on to him (Burns or Smithers?).

C. L. Hanson said...

I love that one!!!

Wasn't that when Homer was representing the union for some reason and Mr. Burns was trying to bribe him?

C. L. Hanson said...

ROTFL!!!

That's got to be one of the funniest made-up words I've ever heard!!!

I don't think I've even seen that episode...

Anonymous said...

CL, et al...

enjoy my daily Simpson's quotes here

http://murphymaphia.com/simpsons

C. L. Hanson said...

Hilarious, domokun!!! Now I really want to see that episode!!! :D

Paul, thanks for the link!!!! You've got a fantastic collection there!!!

C. L. Hanson said...

Hilarious!!!

And kind of perversely encouraging, like some of the others...