Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Goal to Gain a Testimony, part 2



The meeting got back underway as Sister Shumway got up to give a talk on missionary work. I discretely took out my copy of The Hobbit and started reading.

After reading a whole chapter, I looked up to see that Sister Shumway's talk was still going strong. She was now reading excerpts from letters from her son who was on a mission to Mexico. Annette and Lynn were playing the dots and squares game on their program. Mom and Dad seemed to be paying attention although I got the distinct impression that Mom was kind of half-participating in Lynn and Annette's game. Up on the stand, one of the Bishop's counselors seemed to be dozing off. It appeared that it was going to be a long meeting, so I went back to my book.

I had gotten to the part where Bilbo Baggins meets up with the dragon when the first few notes of the closing hymn brought me back to reality. I reluctantly put down my book and grabbed a hymn book and sang along. Once the closing prayer was over, we got up to go to our Sunday School classes. more ->

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often thought the Lord of the Rings should replace the standard works.

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey Sinister Porpoise!!!

Interesting idea -- it's probably more coherent...

Lemon Blossom said...

Wow, did this bring up soo many memories! Especially the journal writing thing. I have always been so bad at it and would underline or star the goal which stated to journal write often. :)

I think you have totally captured the essence of mormon culture here.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Lemmon Blossom!!!

I have a stack of old journals full of such goals myself, as you might guess!!! ;-)