Monday, February 19, 2007

Truth or Dare, part 2



"Okay, okay, I guess we'll accept that answer," said Melissa, winking at Lynn. "So now you get to pick someone."

"I'm the only one left," said Sarah, "so you have to pick me."

"Hmm," said Lynn, regaining her smile as she made a show of trying to decide. "I'll pick... Sarah!"

"I know!" said Melissa. "If she picks 'truth' let's ask her if that boyfriend of hers really is her cousin!" and she burst out laughing as did the rest of us. I was impressed -- in the space of just our card game and dress-up, Melissa had already picked up on our inside joke about Sarah's cousin.

Sarah looked slightly miffed and huffily said "I choose double-dare!"

more ->

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this episode fascinating when I read your novel.

The perception of things from a non mormon and from a mormon family were usually so different. Drinking coffee was not a big deal.

I think I remember having a lesson or learning about the "evils" of coffee growing up. This mindset is so hard for me to wrap my head around now.

The episode you describe rings very true for me on many levels. Coffee and coffee drinking in mormonism remain something very difficult to explain to people who have never been mormon.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Aerin!!!

That's one of the things I was trying to capture -- being a Mormon kid faced with this sort of moral dilemma while the non-Mormons around you have no idea why it's a moral dilemma at all.