Monday, April 16, 2007

Let the Manhunt Begin!



The very first thing I heard upon arriving at Youth Conference was a dirty joke.

Somewhere behind me in the long line of kids walking from the buses to the registration tables a boy's voice said "Why did the condom fly across the room? -- because it was pissed-off!" Not very funny, really, but it made me smile to myself. It seemed like a good omen for how the conference would go -- hopefully not one hundred percent goodie-goodie. Not that I objected to religious education in principle -- heaven knows I had a lot of work ahead of me if I wanted to make it to the Celestial Kingdom one day. It was just that for this event the prospect of spiritual growth was hardly my real reason for attending.

I was sure most of the other kids felt the same way. We came for the fun of spending the weekend in a college dormitory with five stakes worth of Mormon kids -- practically all of the Mormon teenagers in all of Minnesota. read the rest ->

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the descriptions of the dance (particularily standing on the sidelines and in groups) very familiar. I also remembered the heavy focus on appearance, clothes, hairstyles - namely to attract that all important (mormon) boyfriend.

I bet that even still, if I were to attend my old stake and a youth dance, the model would not be very different from what you or I experienced.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Aerin!!!

I mean this to be a description of what it was like back in the old days, but you're right that it's probably still like this...

Lemon Blossom said...

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I feel like I am 16 again and on the dance floor. You captured what it was like to be a girl at a dance so well it brought back long lost memories. I may shove the loner, reject ones back where they came from, but I am smiling remembering dancing with my large group of girl friends in the middle of the dance floor. :)

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Lemon Blossom!!!

Freckle Face Girl said...

The joke made me laugh. I even told it to my husband later. :)

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey Freckle Face Girl!!!

LOL -- you know that really is a joke I heard at Youth Conference once. The things you remember... :^)