Monday, February 25, 2008

Bending the rules to the breaking point



The week sped by, and the next thing I knew I was getting ready to go up to Jake's uncle's cabin with Cindy and Amy. Cindy and Amy's Aunt Julie lent us her car, and Cindy drove us up following Jake's map.

When the three of us finally found the cabin, Jake was already there with his three friends: two guys and a girl. I hardly noticed the rather ordinary-looking guys next to the girl all decked out in goth. Her black hair and eye make-up, pale skin, black lips, black nails and silver rings and ankh pendant seemed pretty typical goth to me (although I've never been knowledgeable about it), but aside from being all black, her outfit seemed atypical. She was wearing kind of a flouncy (black) skirt over black stockings and black boots, and over a black leotard top, she had a cute little tight black jacket. To top it off, she had on a wide-brimmed hat with the brim folded up on one side -- in black again as you might guess.

Her outfit struck me as really cute and reminded me of how goth culture can be kind of internally conformist yet still give a lot of leeway for individuality. I immediately wanted to make friends with her, so as I approached to take a seat, I took off my hat to reveal my own non-conformist side. Read the rest of the story ->

4 comments:

King Aardvark said...

Holy crap, the guy in blue in the drawing looks like little Billy Dembski!

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey King Aardvark!!!

I have to admit I'm not known for my artistic skills... Who's little Billy Dembski?

IdahoEv said...

William Dembski is one of the ringleaders of the Intelligent Design movement.

C. L. Hanson said...

Yikes, that is not who I was attempting to draw!!! I hope this won't cause any confusion...