Monday, February 09, 2009

And where did he serve his mission?



Sam was pretty lucky that his cousin Joe had come to live with him. The three of us were all in the same math class together, which meant that Sam got free help with his math homework every night while I only got help when they invited me over. I couldn't figure out how Joe could derive all those trig identities so easily. I mean, I could follow Joe's answers when he showed me, and so could Sam, more or less, but how the answers came to him in the first place was like some kind of miracle.

Chewing on my pencil and listening to Joe, I started wishing I had inherited some of the math talent my older brother Rex had gotten. He was a real whiz at math! He would be helping me with my homework himself if he weren't off at grad school.

We were finishing up the last few problems when Sam's mom called upstairs to us. "Sam! Is your friend Jared going to stay for dinner?"

"How 'bout it?" asked Sam.

"Okay," I replied.

"Okay, Mom," Sam yelled back downstairs.

"I just have to call my mom and tell her what time to pick me up," I said.

"Oh, yeah, I was going to ask you about that," said Sam. "How come you didn't drive today?"

"Oh, I'm being punished. I've lost my car privileges."

"What'd you do?" asked Joe, laughing.

Read the rest of the story ->

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for apostate math phds!

C. L. Hanson said...

Like me. ;^)

Donk said...

I always loved this chapter because of the way that Mrs. Hobbs acts. It so reminds me of how everyone in my neighborhood reacts to missions and stuff. It always bothered me that when introducing someone they always mentioned "and all their children served a mission and were married in the temple."

I am still excitedly waiting for my of course favorite chapter.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Donk!!!

I know what you mean. My grandparents had ten kids, and every single one of them served a mission. All ten. And, let's just say, it's not a secret...

Re: I am still excitedly waiting for my of course favorite chapter.

I imagine you mean "Brodeaux Mission: Alternate Ending." ;^) That one is more an outtake than an official chapter, but I'll definitely post it. :D

Anonymous said...

Another good chapter. When's the next one? I'm hooked and need my next fix.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Chaplain!!!

They're every Tuesday until this segment (novella) is done! :D

Eileen said...

This chapter was a really interesting look into LDS culture. Can't wait for the next one!

I like your illustrations too.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks E. L. Fay!!!