Friday, June 17, 2011

What is faith?

It's a surprisingly tricky question!

We were having a discussion about religion at Main Street Plaza (so what else is new?), and I noticed that different people were using very different definitions of the word "faith"!

I've found that a lot of unnecessary confusion and misunderstanding can result from assuming that everyone is using a word to mean the same thing when they're not. So I wrote a new post: What is Faith? to help each person clarify which definition(s) they're using -- with a fun list of twenty statements that may or may not be "faith"!

The answer sets we've gotten so far show a surprising variety in what people would call "faith". Try it yourself -- but be sure to write out your own answers before reading other people's.

I'm not claiming that one set of responses is necessarily right -- I'm just curious to see the range of opinions! :D

See also my earlier post on the definition of faith: It takes a lot of faith to believe that!!!


PMG - Patrick Marketing Group said...

Interesting, as is the base article.
While there are some great responses there - I don't know exactly how I'd define it. But I' certainly going to consider it in more detail.
I'm a newly minted Christian, and have started a blog about my journey to my Faith - my Testimonial and my personal Ministry to Men who've not found Jesus yet.

webhost1234 said...

Complete trust or confidence in someone or something. And Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Buy Domain

John Hamer said...

Nice post --- hope you don't mind my pot-stirring. :P

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey John!!!

No problem -- we love having lively and intelligent discussion.

And to PMG and webhost1234 -- it would be cool if you'd take the time to answer the list on my MSP post...