Friday, June 17, 2011

What is faith?

It's a surprisingly tricky question!

We were having a discussion about religion at Main Street Plaza (so what else is new?), and I noticed that different people were using very different definitions of the word "faith"!

I've found that a lot of unnecessary confusion and misunderstanding can result from assuming that everyone is using a word to mean the same thing when they're not. So I wrote a new post: What is Faith? to help each person clarify which definition(s) they're using -- with a fun list of twenty statements that may or may not be "faith"!

The answer sets we've gotten so far show a surprising variety in what people would call "faith". Try it yourself -- but be sure to write out your own answers before reading other people's.

I'm not claiming that one set of responses is necessarily right -- I'm just curious to see the range of opinions! :D

See also my earlier post on the definition of faith: It takes a lot of faith to believe that!!!

4 comments:

ACwJ said...

Interesting, as is the base article.
While there are some great responses there - I don't know exactly how I'd define it. But I' certainly going to consider it in more detail.
I'm a newly minted Christian, and have started a blog about my journey to my Faith - my Testimonial and my personal Ministry to Men who've not found Jesus yet.
http://MenFindingFaith.com

Anonymous said...

Complete trust or confidence in someone or something. And Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Buy Domain

John Hamer said...

Nice post --- hope you don't mind my pot-stirring. :P

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey John!!!

No problem -- we love having lively and intelligent discussion.

And to PMG and webhost1234 -- it would be cool if you'd take the time to answer the list on my MSP post...