Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Vote (for me!) in the 2011 Brodies!!

We have a huge number of fantastic nominees to vote for in this year's Brodie awards!! I'd like to call attention to my two entries (since I'm quite pleased with them, and I don't want them to be totally buried among all the other excellent choices):

What is Faith? This is a discussion I wrote to try to pin down what people mean when they talk about faith, and especially what they mean when they talk about believing something "on faith." I became curious about this question when I noticed misunderstandings over the word. People assumed that since they were all using this same word "faith" that they must be talking about the same thing -- when in reality the different speakers were talking about very different concepts. Naturally, this is a bit of a follow-up to my earlier piece It takes a lot of faith to believe that!!!. (running for Best Philosophical/Theological Discussion)

Building on a Religious Background is an essay I wrote for the October / November 2011 issue of Free Inquiry (the magazine of the Council for Secular Humanism). It's about how non-believers who were raised in a religion have a unique opportunity to foster cross-belief dialog. (running for Best Discussion of Mormon (or former-Mormon) Community)

4 comments:

Jules said...

Voted for you!!

jen said...

I'm so glad you're promoting yourself! There are so many amazing posts. This is my first year knowing about these, and WOW is all I can say.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Jules!!!

Thanks Jen!!!

You've got some great pieces in the running -- I'm glad to see they're doing well! :D

jen said...

I wasn't quite sure where to put this comment, but I wanted to thank you for putting the Brodies together...
So I nominated my own post about my family, and my sister (very active and believing) was so excited for me, and to share how awesome my family has been, and hoping her own inlaws would read it and get the picture that maybe their behavior towards their son isn't helping - shared on her facebook.
It seems I am now much more "Out" and it feels really good... so, thanks for being a part of that.