Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fun with toys -- Lego vs. Minecraft!!!

As you may know, I love Legos, and lately I've gotten totally hooked on Minecraft!!! And it's no coincidence. I just got done writing an article for my professional (video game programming blog) analyzing Lego's failed massive multiplayer online game, compared with Minecraft -- which is the game Lego wishes they'd made: Minecraft: Why Lego Group are kicking themselves about now…

I spent an unbelievable amount of time contemplating strategies for constructing a fortress that could withstand an attack -- for use when playing castle siege with friends. Then I made a video about it:

Here's an example of playing castle siege with my kids:

And here are some Minecraft videos that my kids directed on their own. Leo's video:

And Nico's:

Ok, we probably could be spending our time more constructively -- but we're having fun!!!

3 comments:

Brett said...

I love mine craft! And Lego is my all time favorite toy! Here is the link to a short post I wrote about Toys.

http://coffeefueledphilosophy.blogspot.com/2012/04/toys.html

Unknown said...

The poet Marianne Moore famously wrote of 'real toads in imaginary gardens,' and the labyrinth offers us the possibility of being real creatures in symbolic space...In such spaces as the labyrinth we cross over [between real and imaginary spaces]; we are really travelling, even if the destination is only symbolic.Love Sms , Love Text

Unknown said...

And here are some Minecraft videos that my kids directed on their own. ... qlegominecraft.blogspot.com