Sunday, June 22, 2014

Looking forward to Camp Quest!!


You may recall the time I visited Camp Quest Minnesota (if not, see here). Since then, I've been trying to find a way to send my kids there.  The problem is that we only get to visit friends and family in the US for a few weeks every other year or so, and we have a fantastic time visiting with them!!

It makes it tricky for me to take a week of this precious visiting time to send my kids to camp, no matter how cool...

Imagine my surprise when I was reading Greta Christina's fabulous book Coming Out Atheist, and found she mentioned Switzerland as one of the places where there's a Camp Quest!!

Naturally, I got in touch with the organizers and not only signed up my kids but volunteered to come along and help out myself.

The stuff that's planned looks like loads of fun!!  There will be some cool Science experiments (and some Math games and puzzles provided by yours truly) in addition to the usual camp stuff (nature hikes, campfires, etc.)

The camp will be held from the 27th of July to the 2nd of August 2014, and there are still openings -- so sign up now!!  It will be primarily a German-speaking camp, though some accommodation can be made for English or French speaking kids (especially if they have some working knowledge of German).

I'm really looking forward to this!  I enjoyed going to camp as a kid, and this is sure to be so much more fun than LDS girls' camp!  I'll report on how it goes. :D

3 comments:

mathmom said...

Hey Chanson! You've probably already seen this, but if not, check out
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/07/why-are-all-the-cartoon-mothers-dead/372270/

I was thinking about you as I read it, and then suddenly they quote "C. L. Hanson...) =)

Have fun at camp!
Kim

C. L. Hanson said...

Awesome!!! Thanks for the link!!

C. L. Hanson said...

One of the many things I liked about the film "My Neighbor Totoro" is that -- even though the mom is in the hospital, probably dying, to set up most of the kids' adventure -- in a surprise, twist ending she lives! She recovers from her illness and comes home from the hospital and shares many happy years with her family.

The author is totally right about "The Incredibles" -- I love the scene where the mom saves the kids (without sacrificing herself to do it) because she needs to be around for a passing-along-wisdom bonding moment with them later (before she goes off on further adventures). Why can't more movies be like that?

I can't think of a single other film where a mom heroically rescues her kids without sacrificing herself to do it.