Sunday, August 09, 2009

I had totally forgotten about that!

So the high school reunion was lots of fun, and had a few unexpected twists.

For one thing, I ran into some people who I was friends with in elementary school and early Jr High (but kind of lost track of in HS). Remember way back when I posted some choice excerpts from my journal that I wrote when I was 11 years old? Well, I met the Susan and Nikki S who were featured in that story.

Susan remembered some other stuff we did that was worse than any of those stories: We were dissecting pigs (or maybe frogs?) in science class, and she and I and one other girl saved some of the organs and put them on the piano keyboard in music class. LOL, I'd totally forgotten about that! She concluded that "When people say kids today are worse than we were back then, I don't believe them!" So true! :D

Another surprise was that people kept telling me that I seem taller. What? I've always been this tall! "Yeah, for at least eighteen years!" quipped one of my classmates. And now that I think about it, it's true -- I was small for my age through Jr. High and early HS -- I grew late. I'd forgotten about that too.

Then there was a surprise that shouldn't be a surprise at all to those of you who read the Bloggernacle: everybody kept asking me what my brother John is up to. It's clear that he's a pretty memorable guy. ;^)

And the photo I submitted? Of nerds putting on puppet shows for kids at the park? It stood out like a sore thumb against all of the shots of people cheering at the hockey games. (Of course there were also some shots of some friends who had their own band, so my picture wasn't the only non-athlete-or-rah-rah in the bunch.) And I got to reconnect with some good friends from back then, so I'm glad I went. :D

3 comments:

Varina said...

Sometimes I wonder what reunions will be like for my generation, since people my age and younger have been on Facebook since college and are still technically connected to random people from High School. So I still know random things about what those people are doing despite having not spoken to them since graduation. It should be interesting.

beckiwithani said...

I'm interested to know what reunions are like for you, since you are no longer LDS. Is this the first reunion you've attended? If so, what were the reactions of folks who "knew you when"?

I missed my 11th (they wanted a 10th, but were a little late) because I was 7 months pregnant at the time. My 15th is coming up next year. My Southern-Baptist-pastor's-kid persona was well-known back then. I wonder what it would be like to see all those people again, now as an atheist. I've seen high school folks at bars when visiting back home a few times ... it's kind of fun to see the shocked look on the faces of the kids who were once too cool to even talk to me as they see me drinking (and even - gasp - smoking cigarettes, before I quit.)

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey Sabayon!!!

That's a good point. You guys won't have quite the same experience of catching up...

Hey BeckiWithAni!!!

Yes, this is the first one I've been to -- I wasn't in town for my 10th. It is kind of funny because I was Mormon in high school, so that's probably how people remember me. On the other hand, there were very few Mormons in my school (none at the reunion), so there was nobody to be shocked or disappointed by my transition. Additionally, by my senior year, I was already headed well down the rebel road, so anyone who knew me well enough to know I was Mormon, probably also knew me well enough not to be too surprised to see me less Mormon now. ;^)