Sunday, December 27, 2009

The rest of the holiday story...

After all that anticipation -- can you believe it? -- nothing bad happened. Nico and Leo were too busy sledding and playing and opening presents, and everyone got along great!

The worst thing that happened was that (John's partner) Mike got a temporary stomach flu and wasn't well enough to be in the family portrait:


My new niece also missed being in the portrait since she isn't quite out of the hospital yet -- but she's doing great, and her big sister expects to get to meet her soon.

I guess the closest thing to a faux pas was when my brother John remarked on how cool it is that we're increasing our family's diversity by adding a "corridor Mormon" for the first time in generations. (The rest of us are either "mission-field Mormons" or not Mormon at all -- and if you don't know what that means, then read this piece on our family history.) My sister Laurie then explained that her new fiance is from Moscow, Idaho -- which is so far north that it's hardly Idaho at all, it's practically Eugene, Oregon! Good thing we didn't mistake him for a Utah Mormon... ;^)

5 comments:

John Hamer said...

Well, I've looked at it on a map now, and they're quite right --- Moscow is in Idaho, but outside the corridor.

Marcus said...

Glad you had a fun holiday! Sounds like it was less weird than ours :)

Hypatia said...

What a great pic! I'm glad you had a good time with family. By the way, I enjoyed reading your recent posts with your rather philosophical conversations with your children! I look forward to those with my daughter.

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey John!!!

I always thought the corridor extended all the way to Alberta, but if it doesn't, I'm glad we cleared that up. :D

Thanks Hypatia and Marcus!!!

Did you guys post about your holiday too? I look forward to reading it. I'm still in vacation (in Holland now) and I've already overstepped my limited Internet time, but I'll catch up on my blog reading when I get back to Switzerland.

C. L. Hanson said...

p.s. to all: My sister and my SiL have both posted their versions of our family Christmas, with lots of pictures!!!

see Everyone's in town and Christmas!