Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Awards Time!!!

As you probably know, one of my main blogging activities is the weekly link roundup Sunday in Outer Blogness over at Main Street Plaza. Plus, for four years we've been hosting two yearly awards: the William Law X-Mormon of the Year Award and the Brodie Awards!!

David Twede won the 2012 X-Mormon of the Year contest, and recently stopped by to thank us for the award.

Naturally, this means that of the four winners so far, the only one who didn't post thanks/acceptance/acknowledgement of the award is last year's winner Joanna Brooks. Ironically, of the four winners, she's the only one I happen to know personally since we were on the Student Review together in our BYU days. I guess she just never forgave me for all those arguments I won. J/K ;)

Anyway, the Brodie Awards -- for excellence in LDS-interest online arts -- are currently in the voting phase!!! Check 'em out, and have a look at some of 2012's best posts, images, songs, and more -- and vote for your favorites!!

We have a really great batch of entries this year. One particular highlight this year (as I mentioned on MSP) was that there were a number of stories that broke and/or were best reported in blogspace, so the "News Reporting" and "Church Watch" are categories to watch.

Another amusing highlight is that an article from the Ensign is in the running for a Brodie this year in the "Interfaith Interaction" category -- and not as a joke. It has a real shot at winning. (Note for non-Mormons: the Ensign is the official magazine that the CoJCoL-dS uses to give spiritual messages to members, and is almost treated as Mormon scripture, as discussed here.)

I can't wait to see who wins!!

3 comments:

Donna Banta said...

I like how you did it the individual awards this year--just listing the post title. That way voters are more likely to link to read them, rather than just vote when they see the author or blog name. :)

John Hamer said...

"I guess she just never forgave me for all those arguments I won." That's a funny paraphrase of Star Trek III, where McCoy quips that housing Spock's katra is "his revenge for all those arguments I won." :)

C. L. Hanson said...

Yep, that's the reference I was going for. ;)