Monday, March 05, 2007

Divine Intervention, part 2

The conclusion of Young Women's.



Sure enough we had no trouble finding Sarah again since she was obviously looking for us. She was standing at the balcony overlooking the main open court of the mall. Lynn walked straight up to her and with an exaggerated expression of concern in her voice asked "Where were you? We looked all over for you! We told you not to wander off!" Melissa was having trouble hiding her laughter.

Sarah looked a little confused and said "I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't paying attention."

"Well, don't let it happen again," said Amy. "We were really worried!"

But sure enough, we had hardly been shopping for twenty minutes when Melissa tapped me and whispered "Quick! Run! Now!" and ran away.

more ->

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the last scene in this chapter was poignant. I never remember skipping church, ever for a "fun" reason.

The only reason we ever skipped church was someone was very ill. I think we even went to church with my dad when my mom was home with my new siblings.

Also the description of fasting was very apt. I only recently found out that the grandpa (from the previous post) who was so upset about John's atheist beliefs - still fasts every Sunday. And every weekday before he does temple work.

I wonder if it's something done in other major religions. It seemed so normal at the time.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Aerin!!!

See, that's the cool thing about living in Minnesota: snow days!!!

If it snowed really hard the night before a school day, we would get up and get ready as usual, but the whole time we'd be listening to the school closing announcements on the radio, hoping our school would be listed. And sometimes it was -- great memories!!! You get the whole day off and all that fresh snow to build snow forts and snowmen with. And of course if it was a Sunday, it sometimes meant missing church -- woo-hoo!!! :D

Grandpa fasts every Sunday? Wow, that's a bit much. I think it's fairly common for religions to require fasting at least occasionally. A lot of my Hindu colleagues would fast once a week (although not a complete fast -- just abstain from certain food groups).