Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Portrait of a girl...

I've done a couple more guest posts for The Hathor Legacy: Girls Will Be Girls and Jungle Book II: the story of how a female character is softened.

These are in addition to my earlier posts Do Boys Like Stories about Girls? (with its follow-up The Knights of Disney) and The Tale of Mr. Morton (about Schoolhouse Rock).

That's all I have planned for this series, but I may write for The Hathor Legacy again if I think of anything more I'd like to say about portrayal of female characters in the media, particularly in children's programming which is my specialty.

I'd analyze grown-up T.V. and movies too, except that I watch grown-up media almost never. It's not that I don't like stuff for grown-ups, it's just that all of my recreational entertainment time is eaten up by my tragic Internet habit... ;-)

6 comments:

T Wanker said...

I'm just glad my girls are older now, so I don't have to worry about female portrayals in kids entertainment. Plenty to worry about with adult entertainment, but I at least get to relax a little, since my girls are at least as vigilant (if not more) than I am in spotting sexism or stereotyped feminine roles. All in all, this isn't a bad time to be raising independent young women.

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey T. Wanker!!!

That's excellent -- it's nice to be able to pass the responsibility on to them and see that they're up to the taks!!! :D

Hellmut said...

Congrats, Wanker. That's the way to go. I need to talk about these issues more with my daughter.

Did you see Heroes yet, CL? It's a TV series with life actors but that belongs to the cartoon genre. Among other things, they have a female Hulk and a sensitive, self-doubting male cop who can read minds.

It's a simple inversion of gender stereotypes but it works pretty well. I guess that's bad news that you can surprise and suspend people so easily but I still enjoy it.

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey Hellmut!!!

No, I haven't seen it, but it sounds cool. It sounds like something my kids might like!!! :D

Hellmut said...

Be sure to see it yourself first. It contains scenes of magically cutting skulls open and exposing brains. Other than that it is great.

In my opinion, kids can deal with it as long as they are prepared for it.

C. L. Hanson said...

Yikes!!!

Thanks for the warning. Maybe someday, but my little guys are a tad sensitive at the moment....