Monday, April 23, 2007

Heart-shaped Cookies...



We stepped out of the building and found a low brick wall that we could sit on with no one around.

"Well?" I asked.

"I've brought a little present that I was thinking we could give to Y and Z. I baked them a batch of delicious heart-shaped cookies."

"What?!? Are you crazy?! Can you imagine the embarrassment of giving them something like that?!?! We'll look like the biggest geeks on the planet! Don't you think that we should stick to more subtle tactics?"

"We'll give them anonymously," Amy explained. "They'll find the cookies and eat them and all the while they'll be wondering romantically about the girls who thought to give them this little gift. It'll be perfect! Anyway, my mom always says that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

"And how to you propose to give them anonymously?" I asked.

read more ->

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I had left this comment the other day - but I particularily felt this chapter rang true from my experience. I thought it was spot on - I had heard many times that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

I had also heard the "leaving anonymous baked goods" theory - and I did take baked goods to a friend who was a boy that I was interested in, back when I was young.

There was also some odd social things going on at dances - exactly what chanson mentioned. As I have mentioned before, I think this novel is a great read for someone unfamiliar with mormonism or leaving mormonism.

-M said...

Come help us change the world.
http://secularearth.com.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Aerin!!!

That whole experiences with the dances and baking cookies for boys -- it's almost painful to remember it, but it was kind of fun and cathartic to write about it. :D