Friday, March 31, 2006

The Land Far-and-a-Half Away

On her blog Cynthia Bagley posted her first novel and challenged others to do the same.

It turns out that Exmormon is not quite my first novel. That honor goes to this little tiny gem I wrote when I was eight or nine years old... :D



The Land Far-and-a-Half Away

Chapter I: Running Away

"Today I hated school, Johnny," I said.

"I agree, Sue," said Johnny.

"I feel like I'm going to be 9,000 instead of 9," I said.

"Why?" asked Johnny.

"Because you are so old," I said.

"I'm only 12. Besides, older brothers are nice to have," said Johnny.

"Okay, but school still bugs me you know," I said.

"Then why don't we run away to a place where there is no school?" asked Johnny.

"Okay," I said.

So we bought two airplane tickets and got on an airplane from Sunny Valley to Farm Hill. On the plane I met a 12-year-old boy and my brother and I let him run away with us.

When we got to Farm Hill we saw a train station so we decided to go on a train to the Ohio River. When we got on we met a 9-year-old girl and we let her run away with us.

When we got off the train we saw an old boat. We decided to float down the river on it. We floated down the Ohio River and then the Mississippi and into the Gulf of Mexico.

Soon we were out in the ocean.


Chapter II: The Land Far-and-a-Half Away

Soon there was nothing around us but water. Then we saw an island and we paddled there as fast as we could.

When we got there, there were no people on the beach. So we decided to collect snail shells.

Then Johnny said "What a land, it's far-and-a-half away."

Suddenly a snail popped its head out of its shell. It wasn't a snail at all. Its head was so hairy all you could see was his eyes.

"Why are you putting us into a pile when we were trying to get our shells a darker green?" it asked.


Those are the first two chapters of a total of eight...

My friend Angie also posted her novel Beth. It's entertaining, and a bit more professional than The Land Far-and-a-Half Away. I don't know if it's really her first though or she has one like this one hidden away in a box as well... ;-)

1 comment:

Cyn Bagley said...

This story is quite sweet... ;-)