Thursday, May 17, 2012

Me on Star Trek -- Again!!

I've mentioned this here before a few times: Throughout my graduate school years, I produced a community-cable Star Trek parody series with my brother John. I uploaded a few of them to the Main Street Plaza channel, but -- now that my kids and I have a channel where we're allowed to upload videos longer than 15 minutes -- I'd kind of like to upload the whole series to our channel. (The episodes are each about 20 minutes long.)

It's the adventures of the USS Galois. In a nutshell, real Star Trek recounts the galaxy-changing exploits of the "flagship of the Federation." But everyone knows that there are also a whole lot of dinky little starships flying around the Star Trek universe doing -- who knows what...? Well, with this series, now you know!

As I've said a couple of times, we learned quite a lot on the job. So the sound quality, the production quality, the acting, the special effects -- basically everything -- improved dramatically over the course of the show. I hesitate to start at the beginning because the early episodes are sometimes hard to understand, and they look like they were filmed in someone's garage (because they were). By the end, they were actually pretty professional. But they build on each other, so to make logical sense of the series, you have to start from the beginning.

Here are the first three:

Also, I hope you like some of our other videos that we've made for our YouTube channel. Nico is continuing his "BfIM" series -- which he's been making entirely on his own, with no help from me! He's always thrilled when people vote on which characters he should eliminate.

YouTubin' is hard, BTW. I've found that I can spend hours editing together a silly little video of playing Minecraft, and then feel disappointed that maybe a handful of people watch it. I should encourage my kids to hit "Like" on more of the Minecraft videos they like, and maybe more YouTubers would come visit our channel...

4 comments:

mathmom said...

Thanks for posting these! My kids and I watched them---they had no idea I was in them. I may have ruined Star Trek for the youngest though, he was saying, "Star Trek is really funny!" all the next day.

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Mathmom!!!

My kids love them too!!! It makes me wish we could do something fun like this again, with the kids. But just organizing my panels, etc., for Sunstone and the T-shirts for this crazy reunion is more than I have time to handle.

Actually, speaking of my trip -- is there any chance you'll be in MN in July?

mathmom said...

Hi Chanson! We're planning on being around the 23rd or so through August 4th or so, depending on the weather. Do you want to get together? We have to see Jean too (if they're around... =)

C. L. Hanson said...

Hey Mathmom!!!

Sure, sounds great!!!

I'll be in MN from July 29th to Aug. 4th -- we should totally get together, with Jean too!!