Saturday, September 10, 2022

Straddling the Tectonic Plates

There are two buildings in Totally Normal Town that are built across the "tectonic plates". In other words, half of the building is built on one table and the other half is built on another.

These two buildings are the fire department and a building which contains a fancy restaurant above and a grocery store below.

I don't have all that much to say about the fire department because that one is essentially just the Creator set #10263, the "Winter Village Fire Station"

I modified it a bit because the back component was originally two wings off to the sides and the back was open. To fit the lot, I made it into a square building sliced in half. This modification was trickier than I expected, but not too difficult.


Unlike the "Winter Village Train Station" I didn't bother to remove the Winter/Christmas elements from this set, so this one building exists in a Winter/Christmas climate bubble, but, hey, that's totally normal, isn't it?

The other building is the one that's my own design, and I'm really pleased with it.

The striped roof is a serendipitous little design element. I wanted to make a roof with these steeply-sloped roof pieces, but I didn't have enough of any one color. If I had, I'd have done the whole roof in one color. 

As it is, I used all of the pieces I had, and just alternated them as best I could -- and I think it turned out nicer than it would have as a solid color.

You can see that people enter the restaurant by going up the stairs on the side -- where the menu is posted. This is very theoretical since it's not actually possible to open the restaurant door on the narrow balcony...

The restaurant is named "Chez François". This is  a reference to an old Bugs Bunny cartoon in which two French Chefs are fighting over who gets to cook and serve Bugs Bunny.

If you separate the tables and look inside, you can see François cooking -- as well as the cashier in the grocery store below (who is Joyce from "Stranger Things"):

On the other side you can see shelves of products on the ground floor as well as the restaurant host and some guests.

No comments: